“..Let me upgrade you…” am I the only one with a Beyonce song in my head now because of that title? Oh, I am?….err…
How has the week been going for you? I know it’s only Tuesday, but good I hope.
My day has been filled with studying for lab practicals + searching for a house to live in next year = stressful! Good thing I got in a good workout this morning to alleviate the stress. It went something like this:
- 10 minutes on the treadmill @ 1.0% incline/6.5 mph
- 10 minutes on the elliptical @ resistance of 6
- 15 minutes on the treadmill @ 1.0% incline/6.5 mph
Then I moved onto the weights for an upper body workout:
- Lat pull-down 3x 10 reps @ 85lbs
- Chest press 3x 10 reps @ 50 lbs
- Back extension 3x 10 reps @ 70 lbs
- Dumbbell fly 3x 12 reps @ 15 lbs each hand
- Skull crusher 3x 12 reps @ 30 lbs
- Triceps press 3x 12 reps @ 20 lbs
I’m still getting back into the swing of things when it comes to lifting. When I left the gym my arms felt like jell-o!
Healthy food helps alleviate my stress as well, here’s some of what I have been eating….
My favorite breakfast…of course
Bedtime snack: Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Kashi GoLean, Erin Baker’s Power Crunch granola & almond milk
Tofu “stir-fry” with the best rice ever.
This was Soy Boy baked tofu, carrots, broccoli, low-sodium soy sauce and Annie Chun’s sprouted brown rice. I love this rice, it’s chewy and sticky– perfect for a stir-fry. It’s kind of expensive though, so I only buy it every so often.
And lastly, my dinner for tonight. It incorporated some of yesterday’s leftovers and was quick and easy! Perfect for a gal living in a dorm with only a microwave!
Upgraded Taco Salad
- 3 oz. cooked ground turkey
- 1/2 cooked sweet potato, diced into bite-sized chunks
- Handful of baby spinach
- ~1 tsp olive oil
- Favorite Mexican spices
- Favorite taco salad toppings: I chose salsa, Frank’s red hot sauce and plain greek yogurt. I’d imagine shredded cheese, avocado, tortilla chips or jalapenos would be lovely as well.
- Massage spinach with olive oil and your favorite spices.
- Heat ground turkey and diced sweet potato in microwave for ~ 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- Top spinach with turkey and sweet potato.
- Finish with your favorite toppings and voila! A quick and healthy dinner!
Whenever I make it home to my parents’ house for the weekend, I make sure to buy and prepare plenty servings of protein that I can bring back to campus with me for the following weeks. This past trip home, it was smoked chicken and ground turkey. I froze the turkey last week and used up the chicken and now I’m using up the turkey before I go home this weekend. The fact that the proteins are already prepared make for easy meals that I can make with just the microwave. I supplement them with things like brown rice, sweet potatoes and vegetables with a decent fridge life– like baby carrots and broccoli– and I’m always guaranteed a healthy meal!
Well it’s back to studying for my lab practicals…wish me luck!
What are your favorite quick & easy dinners?
This entry was posted on January 25, 2011 by chicfitness. It was filed under Uncategorized and was tagged with Annie Chun, Beyonce, cardio, college life, Erin Baker's, Frank's Red Hot, healthy meals, house hunting, Kashi Go Lean, Mrs. Dash, oat bran, prepared food, protein cake, Quaker, quick and easy dinner, spinach, stir-fry, studying, sweet potato, taco salad, tofu, upper body weights.